Shamanism is all about natural and cosmological laws. It is a grounded and practical way of life that connects us to the world around us, and the influences that affect us on a daily basis.
Let me explain...
The movements of the Sun, Moon and Stars affect our daily decisions and actions. We think we are in control of our lives and ourselves but are we? There are many factors to consider. We often act of fear, old dysfunctional habits or patterns, resistance to growth or change, ignorance or unconsciousness.
Right now, these are some of the factors that we are all dealing with Shamanically speaking....
1. On an ANNUAL basis - we are in the Dark part of the year even though we have passed the Winter Solstice and the days are getting longer, we still have a ways to go.
2. We are also midway between the Full MOONS, so we are in the Dark part of the Moon.
4. We are in the Moon of REASONING this month which brings up our fears, and hence the need to be reasonable, practical, sensible and logical.
4. We are in the Healer WIND. Winds are about challenges and the Healer Wind will bring up our wounds, whatever needs to be healed. Instead of getting stuck in them or feeling sorry for ourselves, we can use this opportunity to grow beyond them.
We are moving into the Warrior Wind on the New Moon Friday, January 24th. This will partner up with the Moon of Reasoning for two weeks and challenge us to be strong.
The Warrior Wind is about carrying the burden of TRUTH. It is called a burden because it is about being accountable, honest and bursting through our illusions, obstables and resistance. A tough challenge for anyone, but with the support of the Wind, we can do it!
5. Then there is the bigger picture! We are in an ERA of what we call the Dark Goddess Era. These are 2000 year cycles. This Era is about exploring our darkness and bringing it into balance. It will take time.
6. Last but definitely not least... the biggest cycle of all... the planet is in a MAJOR transition and we are her children, we live on her body, so it affects us all. These are larger cycles that can be hundreds of thousands of years long or more.
7. Not to mention... or to mention... we are all influened by each other, we are collective beings and what we see, hear and observe daily impacts us more than we may realize. We are constantly being programmed and indoctrinated.
Put all this together along with the fear mongering of the mass media and what is going on in the world, our personal challenges etc... and we have a lot to deal with emotionally, mentally and on every level.
And we have forgotten how to be collective. In times of crisis, our Ancestors stood together, worked together, supported each other and cared for each other. We are naturally inter-connected. Notice how people come together in a crisis. But do we need a crisis in order to learn how to work and live together? It seems to be the only way.
We have been conditioned / programmed to isolate ourselves, to be independent or the other extreme, co-dependent... instead of the inter-dependent beings that we are meant to be, or most of us at least.
Shamanically speaking, the world has turned upside down and inside out. Yet the Sun continues to shine, Grandmother Moon continues on her journey across the night sky and Mother Earth continues to nourish and support us, if we let her.
Today I went for a walk and fed the squirrels in the park. I didn't see them, but I felt their presence and I knew they would get the peanuts I was offering. Then I stopped and marvelled at some cedar trees, the greeness of them! They were beautiful, feminine and they stood out so stark against the pure white snow. I was so entranced that I forgot to take a picture. Maybe next time... But I felt a connection to them, their quiet presence and how they mirrored my own ability to survive and thrive in all seasons.
Sometimes all we need to to take a moment to connect with someone or something. It helps us to ground, and anchor. It keeps us in humility, which is the next Moon coming up.... stay tuned...